Sunday, July 13, 2008

Maintenance? I do!

When it comes to keeping a cache up, I feel its the owners biggest obligation to do so.
So what if the cache owner lives 50 miles away? I ask this "why did they place a cache 50 miles away?" Its often made me wonder when I see that a owner lives that far away, what made them place a cache there? You know that in general, most people aren't going to be able to maintain a cache that far away. Unless you work of visit the area on a regular basis.
I won't use a real example, but one that I just crossed paths with has a owner that lives 60 miles away and I can tell the cache has never been maintained, even though the owner is still very active in caching. Several maintenance calls have gone unanswered and local cachers have taken it upon themselves to maintain the cache. This should be applauded, but it should be known also. I'm venting I know, but this isn't he first case in which I have come across like this.

I know several cachers that have caches that are out of their home towns, but are in or close to their work locations, in which maintenance isn't a real issue. A cache should be something that you can maintain when it needs it.


Moving on past this. What am I getting at? Maintain or pull your cache. There might be someone close by that would hide a cache in this location that can maintain it. And if your thinking it, no, its not close to me and I don't want the location. but just put yourself in that spot. Say it was a mile or so away and you found out someone living 80 miles away hid the cache there. Hmmm, you might question that too?