Saturday, June 14, 2008

6-14-08, can you find me?

There are days when you wonder if you will find anything. Today when it was done and the cache count was in, I wondered why we bother..LOL Certainly not because we care is it?

Well, we decided to head out and see if we could find a few. The first was a cache that we had looked for the other evening but gave up on because of approaching darkness and dinner being close. We arrived and quickly plugged the COORDS in and went to it. When I stood there I thought HMMM, really. Sure enough I grabbed the location and after 30 seconds I saw it. We made quick to log in and get back to the car. "Great Start!" I remarked to Char and wondered is that too good to be true? Surely you have heard of bad days when it all starts too good.

We headed off for the second cache, arriving it was a small hole in the wall location that well, if you blinked in passing, you would surely miss it. We parked and plugged the COORDS in, and went to the location, but NOTHING to be had. We searched but nothing. We looked all over and nothing. The COORDS didn't add up to anything and the close by locations didn't lead to anything. Char decided to return to the car to get the remaining clues that we logged in earlier, but when she did a man in a car pulled up. I figured a Muggle and we decided to call it a end for this location and move on. When we got to the car, the man exited his and had a note pad, I figured a fellow cacher, but sure enough he wasn't. We headed to the next cache.
The same cache owner for the last spot also placed this one and we figured we should grab it. It too hadn't been found in some time and at one time had gone AWOL. So we just did a quick look and sure enough, nothing. There wasn't even a good spot for it anymore.
We moved on.

The next location sat at the county line and was an old church cemetery, it was in honor of veterans so we gave chase. Upon arrive the GPS led us right to it. Boy, did I get a shock when I opened it up and heard Char say "what is that!" it was a slug, the log was molded and very wet, so we decided to start a fresh paper and place it back, making a note to tell the owner it was in need of maintenance. When we started to leave, the muggle from the last location pulled up, I joked that we had a stalker!

Finally through the countryside we arrived in a small town, and decided to check out a "iffy" cache, that was highly muggled in the past. What is MUGGLED/Muggle? Muggles are people that don't know about caching and that eye you up while hunting. Muggled means someone other then a cacher has gotten to it and moved or removed the cache. Ya ya ya. We all have been muggles..
So upon arrival the GPS takes us to it and NOTHING. Sure enough I figured out the location, but the spot was void. It was too obvious and I am pretty sure it was often found. So chalk that one up and say a DNF =Did Not Find. All cachers hate that.

Moving down the road. We decided to check on a cache that on our last visit was gone. The location was an old country church that had a nice fence along the road. Our first visit yielded a freshly repaired fence with a lot of splintered old fence material around. When we got there today the GPS hit us right on the section that had been replaced, but we decided to recheck the area so I could give an update to the cache owner. Yup, as suspected, NOTHING. You might think if they found it when repairing the fence they just might, maybe, you know replace it in the new spot. Doubtful at best and probably either hit the trash truck or was thrown to the ground and mowed over. So, mark it down for the owner and move on.
Move south man, move south......

Mountain Man, and his wooden beasts. There is something to be said of art by a chain saw. Remember that, what was so popular in the 1980's, to take a old tree and make an owl.....?
This brought it to another level. A mountain man carved out of a 20 foot plus high tree. And then surrounded by other animals carved out around him. Very neat if I do say so, even though I never found that stuff interesting, this piece of work brought attention.
We found it quickly as the COORDS had been spot on. We had a single muggle and decided to move on for more. 3 down, we are doing pretty good!

Popular Cemetery? No, Poplar, but you get the point. Lots of cows and other eyes on us, but no humans so to speak. We arrived and the COORDS hit the spot that was described. A flag pole was the spot, but in the 2 years since the original placement, we wondered if it would even be there. The last log on it shows a DNF and questions its existence, while I won't go this far, I did note it to the owner later on.
We left empty handed and decided to gather 1 or 2 more before calling it an afternoon.
Arriving the next location I let out a chuckle, figuring we could find this one in a matter of minutes and be gone. WRONG. Ya, I know, never underestimate things.
The GPS got slow, dunno if it was tree cover or it just being a pain. Finally the GPS gave us the location that fit the description. Char handed me a branch and in the midst of Poison Oak I started pushing it aside. NOTHING. It was a Lock N Lock container, and should have been a quick find. I'm not sure if it was there or not. I notified the owner, as he was the same as the previous.
"LETS GO!" I said, "enough, we can grab the next!"

I knew the next location well, as I had passed by there many times as a youth, it was the first real black settlement in Randolph county. I had read about the last family member there, they called it "Scott's Corner" after the family. We arrived and the GPS went to work. Funny, but most generally the description of the container is spot on, but this one, well, NOT CLOSE. But I found it and quickly logged it, and we looked around and payed a minute of respect.
"You ready"...."yup"
So we headed home. Totals for Saturday, 4 for 10, minus the 2 we knew wouldn't be there, so hey, 4 for 8 is 50%....
Call me lucky, don't care!!!!!!!!!